Participate Learning's COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I required to get the COVID-19 vaccine?

Yes, Participate Learning requires all incoming teachers and their adult dependents to be fully vaccinated. Additionally, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the U.S. agency responsible for public health, requires passengers who are 18 years of age and older, arriving from a foreign country to the United States by air to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19. Note that although land borders are managed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, they will have similar restrictions requiring full vaccination for entry to the U.S.

CDC’s travel assessment: uses this tool to find out if you could board a flight to the U.S. (Note that J-1 visa holders are considered nonimmigrants).


Which vaccines are acceptable for this requirement? What type of documentation is required?

A list of the accepted vaccines and details regarding acceptable proof can be found on the CDC website.


When do I provide proof of vaccination?

Acceptable proof of vaccination will need to be provided to the airlines when you travel, and may also be requested again at the port of entry. Those traveling by land will need to provide proof at the port of entry. You may also need to provide proof of vaccination to your school district or Participate Learning at a later date, so we recommend that you carry your vaccination records with you to the U.S.


The COVID-19 vaccine is not available to me at this time in my country. Can I still apply?

Yes, you can still apply as long as you are able to be fully vaccinated prior to travel to the U.S., preferably by June 2022. Please review the CDC’s list of accepted vaccines, information regarding acceptable proof, and other details needed for travel to the U.S.


What if I’ve already had COVID, can I show proof of an antibody test instead of having the vaccine?

No, all incoming teachers and their dependents 18 years of age and older are required to be fully vaccinated. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends COVID-19 vaccinations regardless of prior COVID diagnosis.


Are there any exceptions to the requirement? What if I have a medical, personal, or religious reason to not receive the vaccine?

Children under the age of 18 are currently exempt from this requirement. Otherwise, Participate Learning does not currently allow any exceptions. Please contact us if you have any questions.


What if I only have one dose?

All teachers and their adult dependents must be fully vaccinated before travel. Check with your doctor for specific advice regarding using different vaccines for second doses.


I’m fully vaccinated but don’t have any documentation.

You will need acceptable proof of full vaccination. We recommend you contact your healthcare provider to obtain your immunization records. If you are unable to provide documentation, you should consult with your doctor to determine whether or not it would be appropriate to take the vaccine again.


What happens if I change my mind about receiving the vaccine?

Only those who are fully vaccinated are eligible to travel to the U.S. and participate in our program. If you are unable to be fully vaccinated in your country with a vaccine that is accepted by the CDC, you cannot travel to the U.S. and thus cannot participate in our program.