University degree in education or teaching (with proof of graduation). Review degree equivalencies here.
At least two years of full-time teaching experience post-grad with students between the ages of 5-18 in public primary, private primary, or secondary schools.
Currently teaching (and not only within universities and/or language institutes in the last year).
Fluency in English, or English proficiency high enough to communicate effectively (oral and written) with your principal, colleagues, and parents.
Driver’s license and at least one year of experience driving a car (not a motorcycle)
Non-US citizen or permanent resident
Availability to teach with Participate Learning for at least two years
Please note that there is no age limit to apply.
- Review eligibility: Before completing the application form, please review the requirements above to be sure you are eligible.
- Apply online: Complete the online application form to provide details about your teaching experience, educational background, country of residence, and any accompanying family members.
- Participate Learning staff review your application: We carefully review every qualified application. Applicants who meet our basic criteria will be contacted with the outcome of our team’s review.
- Video/Skype interview: If your application is accepted, you will be invited to participate in a Skype interview to discuss your application and evaluate your compatibility with our program.
- Submit required documentation: After a successful Skype interview, you will be asked to submit the documents needed to complete the Participate Learning admissions process.
- In-person interview: This is a day-long interview that includes a morning group session, followed by individual interviews in the afternoon.
- Program eligibility: After a successful personal interview and submission of all application documents, we review your information to ensure your eligibility for a US teaching license and visa sponsorship. If approved, you become eligible for a job offer. Schools begin hiring Participate Learning teachers starting in March each year. We strive to find all teachers who reach this stage a position. In rare cases, some candidates have to wait more than one year.
- Consider US teaching positions: After sharing your information with US school districts that are interested in hosting international teachers, we notify you if a school is interested in making a job offer or speaking with you by phone or Skype to consider you for a teaching position.
- Decision: Some US schools begin to extend offers to teachers as early as March or April, but the majority of schools hire their new teachers between May and August. Once an offer is made, we typically ask you to decide within 3 days.
- Obtain your visa: After you accept a job offer, we will send you the documents you need to apply for an exchange visa.
- Travel to the United States and start your adventure!